It’s that time of year. Jazz Fest time. Just like people in New Orleans have a costume closet (for the many occasions this city offers to dress up), people in New Orleans have a festival closet (for the many music festivals this city hosts). And an outfit is never complete without the right piece(s) of jewelry, which inspired me to reach out New Orleans BFF and jewelry designer Ashley Porter, the creative force behind Porter Lyons. Here are her recommendations for festivaling in (jewelry) style.
- Layer like Woah! It is haute to wear a large choker necklace and layer with a long 32” pendant, stack your fingers high with rings and layer on the arm swag. (Insert Picture of the 3 girls)
- Mix Metals. Whether it’s silver, the range of gold K’s, hematite, or rose it’s a geaux. You want to make sure you keep the finishes so they all work effortlessly together. Think different sizes and shapes.
- Ear Cuffs: Go Faux. Forever fading is the commitment to an actual piercing with the increased illusion of being pierced.
- Finish the look with a fresh gel manicure & some nail art. Use your imagination to come up with a design, or to follow @madnails to get inspiration – love MOD nails, or the ‘fat French’
- As long as you feel comfortable and confident, you can never lose.
- Wear NO jewelry. It’s such a fun way to express your style and add an additional dimension to your look. Each piece can tell a story and set off your outfit with some metal texture.
- Wear the real stuff. We all know that shit happens. Whether you’re dancing, laying in the grass, and/or making out with some beaux, don’t worry your mind about losing your small fortunes.
- Midi Rings. Guaranteed to fly off, and with the risk of being Mean Girl-esque, “They were so last year”.
- Forget your SPF…You don’t want to be ‘that girl’ looking like a lobster because you negated the sunscreen.
- Stress about your hair. It’s most like going to be hot, dusty and humid. Whether your hair is naturally curly or straight, let that mane run wild and throw in a braid or two to give it some shape.
- Don’t wear necklaces if you are going to be jump-dancing; they bounce around too much…