It’s mid-February. The week of Galentine’s and Valentine’s days. The week that the price of red roses goes up. The week that reminds us to say I love you. It’s also (almost) Random Act of Kindness Day (yes, this is a thing, and it is February 17th), a reminder to always be kinder than we feel.
I am not a huge fan this “Hallmark-created holiday,” but I am a huge fan of celebrating love, in all of its forms. Self-love. Friendship love. Family love. Sexual love. And every love in between.
This week is a good reminder to:
- Call a loved one just because. Tell them you love them, say thank you.
- Buy yourself some fresh flowers (once the prices are back to their post-Valentine’s day normal).
- Visit a grandparent, if you are lucky enough to have a grandparent. Or write a letter to an elderly person through Love for the Elderly.
- Surprise a co-worker with their favorite coffee or treat.
- Forgive yourself for something.
- Smile to strangers. Uber drivers. Cashiers. Baristas. People you cross walking the street.
- Give someone the benefit of the doubt.
- Reconnect with an old friend.
- Smile at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you are beautiful.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Fall in love with life. All over again.